Since the Peninsula Health Care District was established in 1947, the communities we serve have changed and evolved, as have the health care needs of District residents. One thing that has remained constant is the District’s unwavering commitment to the people living in San Bruno, Millbrae, Burlingame, Hillsborough, San Mateo and Foster City. The District is accountable to residents, taxpayers and community partners to ensure the health of our communities, today and into the future.
The Peninsula Health Care District cares for the health of our communities by supporting community-based programs and partnerships, and investing in health care facilities for future generations. In 2012 the District Board approved funding to address a broad range of health care needs by investing over $8 million in several important initiatives:
- Access to care for indigent adults through a partnership with the County Health System
- MD/RN Labor Force Recruitment
- Healthy Schools Initiative serving 20,000 K-8 grade school children
- A dental care model to remove barriers to access for the elderly and special needs adults
- Annual Community Grants Programs
History of Peninsula Health Care District
The Peninsula Health Care District was established with broad support from San Mateo County voters in 1947 to build and operate Peninsula Medical Center. In order to bring citizens into the decision-making process at the new hospital, a publicly elected five-member District Board was created. As a result, the Peninsula Hospital was built in 1954 using public funds and private donations, and for more than 30 years the District Board made all of the hospital’s operational decisions.
In 1985, the Board voted to lease the hospital, including all operations, to Mills-Peninsula Health Services (MPHS), a private non-profit group that owned and operated Mills Health Center in San Mateo. The lease and merger of the hospitals allowed Peninsula Medical Center to operate more economically and efficiently, as well as freeing District resources to invest in local community-based health care.
In 1994, California passed Senate Bill 1953 which established strict seismic safety standards for general acute care hospitals and it was determined that the District’s Peninsula Hospital did not meet these standards, necessitating construction of a new hospital. Through lengthy negotiations and many public meetings it was agreed that MPHS would build a privately funded, $620 million state-of-the-art medical campus on District land at the El Camino Real/Trousdale site. The new Mills-Peninsula Medical Center opened in May 2011.
Building this state-of-the-art hospital with an emphasis on the most modern medical equipment and technology was overwhelmingly approved with a 92 percent favorable vote by the public in 2006. The District Board and MPHS established a 50-year Master Lease Agreement which calls for MPHS to pay the District $1.5 million annually for the use of 21 acres of District land. Additionally, the District gained oversight of any proposal to terminate core services, such as obstetrics and surgery, and to ensure that vital services are offered within the District, not somewhere else. Following the end of the 50-year lease, MPHS will transfer the hospital back to the District, subject to book value reimbursement. This is core to carrying out the District’s mission that all residents always have access to health care through a strong, local, community-based hospital.
We invite you to learn more about the District and how we have served as the community’s partner in health for more than 65 years.
That all residents of the District enjoy optimal health through education, prevention, and access to needed health care services.
Leadership, public education, personal responsibility, inclusion, stewardship and transparency.
To ensure Mills-Peninsula Medical Center provides needed core services, to support programs that share our vision, and to do so in collaboration with other providers and qualified members of our community.