RN Loan Forgiveness Program Guidelines and Application
**NO NEW APPLICATIONS ARE BEING ACCEPTED FOR FY 2015 DUE TO LACK OF JOBS FOR NEW NURSES WITHIN DISTRICT BOUNDARIES**
We are pleased to offer nurses in our community an opportunity to alleviate some of the costs required to complete a nursing program. The District will provide loans of up to $2,000 per school year to students who are admitted to the College of San Mateo Nursing Program, and/or other two-year accredited nursing programs. Upon graduation, if the students are employed within the District for two (2) years, the loan will be forgiven and repayment will not be required. The District will further provide loans of up to $5,000 per school year to students who are admitted to a 4-year nursing program at local colleges/universities. Upon graduation, if the students are employed within the District for four (4) years, the loan will be forgiven and repayment will not be required. To be considered, your career aspiration should meet the following criteria:
- Your program, major or certificate should result in a nursing career for which there is community need.
- You must be accepted into the Nursing Program at the College of San Mateo or other accredited college 2-year nursing program, or a 4-year nursing program at a local college/university (e.g., University of San Francisco, San Francisco State University, San Jose State University).
All applicants must be legal residents of the United States. Applicants, other than Mills-Peninsula employees, must be a resident of San Mateo County with priority given to residents living within the District boundary for at least one (1) year prior to application.
Employees of Mills-Peninsula Health Services: Graduate studies will be considered for awards, however, due to limited funds, priority will be given to applicants pursuing undergraduate/certificate programs.
When submitting your application, please include the following documents:
- A one-page signed statement of career goals. Statement should include career plans for the future, further schooling, and the reason(s) why a nursing career was chosen.
- Transcripts from all schools attended in the past two years (may be sent separately and directly from school).
- For first time applicants, two (2) letters of recommendation from any of the following sources: school official or teacher, employer, clergy person or supervisor of a volunteer organization.
- For health care employees, a copy of your most recent performance evaluation.
In addition, you must notify the District of your acceptance into the Nursing Program at College of San Mateo Nursing Program by April 30th or other two-year college nursing program. You must also notify the District of your acceptance into any 4-year nursing program as soon as possible.
Loan Forgiveness Program Instructions
Applications should be submitted between February 1st and March 31st of each calendar year, to:
Peninsula Health Care District
1819 Trousdale Drive
Burlingame, CA 94010
Attention: Cheryl Fama, CEO
The following steps and timeframe outline the process:
|Applications submitted||February – March (*)|
|Applications screened by Scholarship Committee||April|
|Notification to District of Acceptance into Nursing Program||by April 30th|
|Finalists interviewed by Scholarship Committee||May|
|Awards announced||End of May|
|*Funds disbursed for the school year September through August.|
Applications received after April 1st through September 30th will be considered subject to availability of funds.
Awards will be considered on the basis of financial need, scholastic achievement and career potential. Once we have received your application, you will be notified of its status by mail. If you do not receive confirmation of our receipt of your application within 10 days of its submission, please call the District at (650) 697 6900.
ALL INFORMATION IS CONFIDENTIAL